Jeonbuk International Cooperation Agency
  • Home > Promotion > News room
  • 페이스북
  • 트위터
  • 인쇄
  • 페이지 즐겨찾기 추가

News room

View News room Post
Jeonbuk International Cooperation Agency holds Jeollabuk-do cultural experience program in Seattle
Writer 관리자 Date 23-11-09 16:06 Hit 81

Washington State Sisterhood Support Jeonbuk International Cooperation Agency in Jeollabuk-do

Participating students, “I am happy to learn about the excellence of Hangul and the culture of Jeollabuk-do”

[Seattle Korean Daily] Seattle Unified Korean School (Principal Hyeseong Yoon) held an event to commemorate Hangeul Day on October 7th.

The event was hosted by the Jeonbuk International Cooperation Agency in Jeollabuk-do, which has a sister relationship with Washington State, and professional instructors Jeon-rye Jeon and Da-jeong Kim provided various hanji making education and produced a wonderful Hanbok parade.

Promote the excellence of Hangul through Hanji experience

Various cultural experience programs were held for each grade. The kindergarten class made a lucky bag scene. Students were able to experience the deep, beautiful colors of traditional paper while working directly with Hanji, a representative local specialty of Jeonju. It was completed by hanging a bell that makes a refreshing sound below the pocket to bring good luck.

Lower elementary school students made folk dolls out of Korean paper. The doll, reminiscent of a shy girl wearing a colorful skirt and jeogori holding a flower, was a program that allowed you to fully experience the beauty of traditional Hanji. Students created their own unique dolls using the soft texture and various colors of Hanji.

Upper elementary school students made government office lantern lights. Lanterns with red silk on the top and bottom of government buildings were used by the crown prince in the late Joseon Dynasty, and are familiar traditional Korean crafts that were widely used in wedding ceremonies in private homes. They were worn when the groom rode a horse to the bride's house for the wedding ceremony and when the bride got married in a palanquin. We were able to learn together that lighting the way when coming means the harmony of all things in the universe. Students drew the shape of Cheongsa Lantern on Korean paper and decorated it with red sand.

The middle and high school, adult, and parent classes made LED lights with Korean letter vowels engraved on them. Students applied white Korean paper to a wooden board and created pretty LED lights. I had time to reflect on the excellence of Hangul while thinking about the meaning of Hangul consonants.

Promote Jeollabuk-do culture through Hanbok parade

A hanbok parade was held in the auditorium with the participation of teachers and students from adult classes. With modern Korean traditional music echoing throughout the auditorium, students showed off their cool looks wearing various hanbok, including adult hanbok for men, hanbok for women, and formal attire. In particular, the participants created a beautiful atmosphere at the event by lighting the way with beautiful lanterns under dim lighting.

Afterwards, there is the Jeollabuk-do Challenge, in which upper elementary and middle and high school students participate! The Golden Bell Quiz was held. A total of 20 questions were asked, and so many students competed so passionately that the winner could not be determined until the last question. Students enriched the Hangeul Day event by showing off their knowledge about Jeollabuk-do's history, culture, and tourism.

Participating students, “I am happy to learn about the excellence of Hangul and the culture of Jeollabuk-do”

One student who participated in the event said, “It was a meaningful time because I was able to reflect on the meaning of Hangeul Day and experience the culture of Jeollabuk-do firsthand.” Another student said, “I was able to feel the excellence of Hangul firsthand through the Hanji experience, and I was happy to learn about the culture of Jeollabuk-do through the Hanbok parade.”

Through this event, students were able to directly experience and learn about the meaning of Hangeul Day and Jeollabuk-do, a region with long cultural and historical resources.

Attachments 4797_7137_851.jpg